Vernazza, Cinque Terre

Vernazza, Cinque Terre
Vernazza, Cinque Terre, oil and markers

December 10, 2011

The Ditching of Happy Daze

My good friend's father, John Keelan, was a B-17 Aircraft Commander in WWII and was lucky to have survived.  On his 9th mission, (7/25/43) after bombing the sub pens at Kiel, Germany, he was bounced by enemy fighters.  Out of control and with a wing on fire, he managed to save his plane and crew and ditched "Happy Daze" about 30 miles off the coast of Germany.  He kept the crew alive for two days until they got a free ride back to England courtesy of Danish fishermen.  I tried to portray his final moments before ditching, late in the afternoon, with the number three engine feathered and smoke pouring off the wing. I researched the markings for the 410th Squadron of the 94th Bomb Group and think they are correct.

2 comments:

  1. Some great work on this site. I am trying to teach myself how to paint and looking at your paintings is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather was on this plane! I would love to get in contact with you to discuss the details of this mission, as I know very little. Here is my email: osimes1@gmail.com

    I would really appreciate hearing from you!
    Thank you

    Oliver

    ReplyDelete